1) lbn ‘Umar said: “The Messenger of Allah (Sall Allah-o-alaihe wa sallam) said: ‘The honest truthful Muslim merchant shall be with martyrs on the Day of Resurrection’.”
2) Ismail b. ‘Ubaid b. Rifa‘a reported his grandfather on the authority of his father as saying: “They came out with the Apostle of Allah (Sall Allah-o-alaihe wa sallam) for (Eid) prayers. He (the Prophet) saw people busy in buying and selling. He said: ‘O Community of traders!’ Everybody responded to Allah’s Messenger (Sall Allah-o-alaihe wa sallam), raised his head and looked at him. He (the Holy Prophet) said: ‘The traders will be resurrected on the Day of Resurrection as disobedient (servants) of Allah except those who feared Allah, did good and spoke the truth’.”
3) ‘Abdullah b. Dinar narrated that he heard Ibn ‘Umar (Allah be pleased with them) saying: “A man mentioned to the Messenger of Allah (Sall Allah-o-alaihe wa sallam) that he was deceived in business transactions, whereupon Allah’s Messenger (Sall Allah-o-alaihe wa sallam) said: ‘When you enter into a transaction, say: There should be no attempt to deceive.’ (Later on) whenever he entered into a sale deal he (used to) say: There should be no deception.”
4) Yusuf said: “I and a person from Quraish were entrusted with the wealth of orphans. A person took away one thousand dirhams from me. Later on, one thousand dirhams pertaining to that person fell to my hand. I said to the Quraishite: ‘He went away with one thousand of my dirhams and now I have got them, (so I shall not repay them to him).’ On this the Quraishite said: ‘My father reported that he heard the Messenger of Allah (Sall Allah-o-alaihe wa sallam) say: Repay the deposits to one who kept it with you and do not cheat who cheated you’.”
5) ‘Uqba b. ‘Amir reported. “I heard the Messenger of Allah (Sall Allah-o-alaihe wa sallam) as saying: ‘Muslims are brothers to each other. It is not lawful for a Muslim to sell something (to his brother), which contains some defect except he reveals it to him’.”
Source: Economic Teachings of Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him): A Select Anthology of Hadith Literature on Economics, Muhammad Akram Khan. Republished with permission.
Search our Resources or Dictionary